Environment, Health and Safety
We believe that even one injury is too many, and are committed to providing a safe work environment, with a constant focus on health and safety through our Safety360 awareness campaign and our proactive Good Catch program.
We also promote and advance environmental efforts that include the reduction, reuse, recycling and conservation of natural resources within all reasonable fiscal and technical capabilities based on our corporate 5th Environmental Action Plan for pollution reduction initiatives through 2050.
Toshiba is committed to complying with all customer and regulatory requirements, internal procedures and voluntary programs to which it subscribes. We strive for excellence in our quality, environment, health and safety activities in order to exceed the expectations of our customers, employees and community. As one of the industry's largest and most capable steam turbine and generator service organizations, we recognize the importance of using our natural resources effectively and finding new ways to create value for our customers, while reducing impact on the environment.
In order to uphold our commitments, we work as an integrated team to achieve and continually improve upon key objectives:
- Quality - Offering the best products and services resulting in superior customer satisfaction.
- Environment – Our Environmental Action Plan objectives and targets are anchored around the reduction of: Green House Gas Emissions; Water; Waste, and Chemical Substance Emissions. Activities might include, but are not limited to, construction, facility and process management, product design and external design.
- Health and Safety - Providing a safe working environment free of recognized hazards, reducing the risk of harm to employees, visitors and properties and ensuring appropriate controls and contingencies exist to address unforeseen events.
- Competency - Providing our employees with the necessary training and tools to successfully implement this policy and perform their work competently.
- Corporate Social Responsibility - Ensuring that our actions positively impact, protect and sustain the communities where we work and live.
Toshiba senior management acknowledges and supports the organizational objectives outlined in this policy and all Toshiba personnel, associates and contractors are required to assess their individual responsibility to fulfill the obligations of our Quality, Environment, Health and Safety Policies.
Experience Modification Rate
- We have maintained our EMR below industry average since 2001.
OSHA Incident Rate
- Our average TCIR has been below our industry average for the last 5 years.
- Our average DART has been below our industry average for the last 5 years.
- Our Employee Safety Committee meets monthly and reviews all incident reports and suggests corrective actions. Our Safety Management system is a collaborative effort between our employees and management.
- The OSHA 10-hour course is used as our basis for safety training, and we continually strive to improve our safety initiatives.
- Our Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based Environment, Health & Safety Supervisor is currently an Associate Safety and Health Manager (ASHM) with the Institute for Safety and Health Management (ISHM), an OSHA authorized General and Construction Industry Outreach Instructor, an American Red Cross First Aid, CPR and AED Instructor and member of a local area safety group.
- Emergency Response Teams have been identified and trained at our major locations. The ERTs are responsible for conducting regular site safety inspections responding to any on site emergencies.
- We are a member of the National Safety Council (NSC) and of several third party online contractor resources that help customers pre-qualify and measure contractor performance.